Sugar Siren Cakes News

Please note that this blog is very very out of date so for a much wider variety & more up to date photos please head over to my facebook page http://www.facebook.com/SugarSirenCakes where photos are in categorised albums making them much easier to view, thank you.

Monday, November 23, 2009

Basketball Birthday Cupcakes

These cupcakes were good fun to make, it was a special order that a proud mum placed for son's 18th birthday.

When I received her call I was asked if I would be able to create cupcake toppers with a basketball theme which I said would be no problem at all.  She also explained that her son plays wheelchair basketball & wondered if I had ever done any wheelchair toppers before, to which I had to reply that no I hadn't as yet but I was sure I would be able to design something.

So after a little thought this is what I came up with.

There were 3 1/2 dozen cupcakes orderd in a mixture of 3 cake flavours, 'Diablo Red Devil' (classic red velvet cake), 'Midnight Delight' (moist dark chocolate mud cake) & 'Blondie' (light vanilla butter cake).  Half were frosted with chocolate Swiss meringue buttercream & the other half with vanilla.

I also added orange sprinkles to them all which I thought would be a nice little play on the theme, like tiny little basketballs.

As you can see I designed six different toppers for the cupcakes.  Basketball jerseys in the green & gold colours of Australia (which were the colours requested), basketballs, backboards & hoops, basketball courts with mini basketballs on, wheelchairs & finally 18's.  All of which I made using marshmallow fondant/sugarpaste.

2 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails